This Sunday, Easter is being celebrated and, here in Portugal, families will meet for a big Sunday lunch, since this is one of the major holidays here. This big family lunch, like any other in Portugal, is quite special with a one-of-a-kind menu! Let me share with you what will be in front of me this Sunday (and Mum will get mad if we don’t eat everything!!).
Our Easter Menu in Porto
- Starters: Folar (corn bread with sausage inside), smoked ham, “Serra da Estrela” cheese and rissoles;
- Main course: roasted suckling pig with fried potatoes and sparkling wine (usually white, but this year I’ll be bringing red sparkling wine to the table!)
- Dessert: pão de ló (an amazing wheat cake with a lot of eggs) and “Serra da Estrela” cheese (yes, also a dessert, because it’s that good)
Pão de ló and Folar are mandatory items on the table. If you want to try them you can find them in almost every pastry shop in Porto. But, if you want to know, I’ll buy my Folar at “Loja dos Pastéis de Chaves” and my Pão de Ló at “Leitaria da Quinta do Paço” If you are in town be sure to try some of these delicacies.
Oh! And happy Easter in the beloved city of Porto!
Looking for an authentic cultural tour in the beloved city of Porto?
Select from our list of Porto Food and Drink tours and discover a side of Porto that most travelers rarely see.
- Experience the Porto that travelers rarely see;
- Taste important elements of the Portuguese cuisine;
- Learn about the history, architecture, and culture while walking the streets of our beloved city.
- Book your place today and let’s eat our way through Porto!
Taste Porto Foodie Team