Everybody loves funny travel stories, right?
Especially if they show the less glamorous part of traveling, which is, as a matter of fact, an important part of travel itself. The challenge, the adventure, the thrill… that’s the real deal. Here’s to the travelers, the foodies, the itchy feet… may we see each other soon! Until then, check it out this compilation of funny travel stories every foodie has been through. A little laughter is good for the soul. Enjoy!
1. At the airport, Security asks me to open my suitcase. While I slowly follow this order, I start wondering if is there a person in the world who can stand the smell of the 6 kinds of solid cheese I have decided to buy at my last destination and pack in my allowable carry-on baggage. I feel a bit embarrassed right now, but you know what they say: “If the cheese smells like dirty feet, it will taste like Heaven.”
2. Sit down on the plane and the person beside me confesses: “Sorry, I just have a lot of garlic bread and I haven’t managed to brush my teeth”. Brace yourself for three long hours!
3. Requested a seat change on the plane due to a crying baby nearby. Turns out, that’s not allowed if the baby is yours. Traveling with kids can be…
4. Falling asleep in the flight and waking up feeling trapped because the same person who smelled like garlic had fallen asleep right after and is snoring like a freight train. And now I can’t seem to be able to climb over my sleeping plane neighbor.
5. Also, I smell stinky feet. Why does someone have smelly feet behind me?
6. Forgot to look at the arrival time at the destination and now here I am, far far away from home, with short sleeves and slippers chattering my teeth and dying for a hot soup.
7. The city’s most important spot is under construction, covered in scaffolding for the past two months. Wonderful!
8. Walking to the hotel with my bag stuffed with teas, cheese, and amazing local snacks when someone rips it off. Then I realized it was not a person but a monkey that is now showing me its teeth! Suddenly there’s a monkey gang gathered and they start sharing my food: “Give food back to me, rude monkeys!”
9. Traveler’s diarrhea that requires spending extra time in the bathroom and less time getting to know the city. Probably happened because I forgot I’m gluten intolerant and indulged like a lion in that tiny beautiful riverside restaurant.
10. We all have that travel buddy who doesn’t know how to take a good picture.
11. Comfortable shoes that are not so comfortable after all. Classy!
12. Trying to board the plane wearing my entire wardrobe to avoid paying extra baggage fees. Necessary because of the incredible amount of food souvenirs and wine gifts for the family.
13. Missed my flight and this airport restaurant is playing “Single Ladies” by Beyoncé. It’s the hell I deserve!
14. Searching for an alternative flight and the website suggests a 47-year-long layover. At least I have plenty of food in my luggage to sustain me over the years.
15. Returning home only to realize I left all my shoes back in the hotel.
Hang in there!
Taste Porto Team